We sat down with two of the founders of Monarch FC, which expands opportunities and access to soccer, with a particular focus on girls of color who are underrepresented in the traditional club system. We asked them:
- When was it founded and who are the communities you’re looking to serve? (1 min)
- Talk about your soccer experience and what led you to want to do this work? (10 min)
- Talk a little bit about the actual programming you do. How much of it is structured games against other teams vs open play on a random weekday and stuff like that? (18 min)
- What are some of the biggest obstacles to doing this kind of work? (23:30 min)
- What impact does that lack of access have on the growth and development of soccer in the US overall? (30 min)
- Women still don’t have anywhere near fair representation in coaching. Talk a little bit about what we need to change to give women more of a shot in the coaching ranks? (36:30)
- What role do the structured school soccer environments play in your work? Do you hope to get girls exposed to high school and college options or is the youth experience in and of itself part of the goal? (46:45 min)
- How can average soccer fans, who maybe haven’t heard of Monarch, support your work? (53:45 min)
You can listen to the full podcast in the embedded Soundcloud player below, or find it on iTunes,Google Play, or Stitcher.
We caught up with former Gopher Soccer star, and Czech League vet Simone Kolander after her return to the professional ranks in Iceland. Simone talks about her recruitment to Iceland, adapting to a new country, the level of play, and our first edition of "the internet said it."
You can watch the video embedded below or listen to it as a podcast in iTunes,Google Play, or Stitcher.
We sat down with current Macalester womens soccer Head Coach and former University of Minnesota star and Associate Head Coach Krystle Seidel to talk about:
Supporters giving $10/month and up
Chad Flynn & Mary Lahammer
Salvo Soccer Club
Jim & Kristen Gray
Join them in supporting our work!